When swimming at the beach, lake, sauna, or pool the following precautions below are recommended:
- Comb your hair and put it into braids before swimming or wading in any type of water.
- Never wear a swimming cap, the friction may cause tangling.
- Dry hair soaks up more salt water and chlorine than does already-wet hair; which, means dry hair incurs more damage while swimming.
- If you plan to get your hair wet, soak your hair with plain tap water before you take the plunge.
- Rinse your hair with plain tap water as soon as you have finished your water play.
- Follow a day at the beach or pool with a moisturizing shampooing and deep conditioning treatment.